1. Information we collect
To provide our petitions to the White House and other branches of government, we need to know a little about you. When you sign a petition via our platform, an account is created for you that includes information such as your name, email address, IP address (browser and device information), postal address, and phone number. You may also wish to include your social media account IDs, comments, images, etc. on the platform when that is made possible.
Some of the information above reveals your specific identity, or is directly tied to your specific identity, such as your name and email address. Some of this information does not reveal your specific identity, or does not directly relate to you, such as your browser and device information or information collected through cookies. If we ever combine non-personally identifiable information with personally identifiable information, the combined information will be treated by us as personally identifying information and protected accordingly.
Our services are not directed to people under the age of sixteen (16), and we do not knowingly collect personal information from them.
2. How we use your information
Here are the ways we might use your information to run our platform and provide our services. We and our service providers may use your information for our legitimate business interests, including in providing a petition platform that enables people to connect with issues of interest. Our legitimate business interests are explained below, alongside examples of how your information may be used for these purposes.
|Providing the functionality of our platform. We engage in these activities to manage our contractual relationship with you.||To send administrative information to you, for example, information regarding our services and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies. To ensure that our site and apps function properly and are optimized for your computer or device and to store your preferences and settings.|
|To fulfill your specific requests through the platform. We engage in these activities to manage our contractual relationship with you.||To allow you to sign petitions, join “topics” or “movements” (groups of similar petitions) and to follow their progress. To allow you to send email messages that you choose to send to your email contacts through our platform, such as to share a petition. By using this feature, you guarantee that you have the right to use and provide us the names and email addresses you submit. To facilitate the social sharing functionality that you choose to use, such as sharing content and petitions through social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter.|
|Analysis of personal information for business reporting and providing personalized services. We provide personalized services because we have a legitimate interest.||To personalize your experience by presenting petitions, campaigns and offers tailored to you based on information we have collected from you. We may anonymize, de-identify and/or aggregate information and use such information to better understand and serve our users or for optimization of our marketing and targeting efforts. For example, we may compile statistics like the percentage of our users in a state or country who care about a particular issue, or the age range of those users, or to analyze the performance of particular emails.|
|To share marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you. We engage in this activity to manage our contractual relationship with you.||Communications related to petitions you’ve signed, other petitions that may be of interest, or petitions relevant to your location. Editorial communications about specific issues Communications about contributions to causes or about crowdfunding for a specific petition. Communications about becoming a member of ASL Now. If you choose to provide your telephone number or postal address, which are not required, we may contact you by phone, SMS, or postal mail. Invitations to ASL Now events. To allow you to participate in events and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose information about you, so we suggest that you read these rules carefully. Most marketing communications will be sent via email and sometimes via social media. We might remind you about particular petitions if you have not completed starting or signing or joining.|
3. Who may receive your information
Here we outline who may receive your information when it is shared either by you via the platform, or by us.
a. The ASL Now Community
- All information you post on our platform (such as reasons for signing a petition, or your posts on our message boards) will be visible to other users. If you choose to send messages or connect with others through our platform about petitions you have signed or shared, you disclose your personal information to the recipient of your message. Our platform provides an open forum for communication by user. We do not monitor, verify, or perform any background check on petition signers or other users of our platform.
- Similar to traditional paper petitions, we consider an online petition to be a public expression of support for an issue. Therefore, your name, general geographic location (i.e. city, state, country), and a link to your user profile may be displayed on the landing page for any petition you sign, and on related areas of our platform. This information will be viewable to any visitor, including the media, search engines, and other organizations that provide archival internet activities. If you do not wish to have your support for a petition to be public, we recommend you do not sign the petition.
- Your first name, last name, city and/or postcode, and the day that you signed will be shared with the person who initiated a petition you have signed. This is extremely important for petition starters to demonstrate the legitimacy of their signatures to the decision-makers they are working to influence. If you do not wish to have this information shared with the person who initiated the petition, please do not sign the petition.
- The petition starter may choose to share your name and general geographic location with the intended decision maker who is the recipient of their petition. For example, the intended decision maker may be your congressman/woman when the petition concerns an issue relevant to him or her. If you do not wish to have this information shared with the petition recipient, you should not sign the petition.
b. Your connected social media platforms
- You may voluntarily share information on message boards, chats, profile pages, blogs, and other services to which you are able to post information and materials. Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public information, and may be available to social media platform users and to the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose any information about yourself via the social sharing features of our platform.
c. Our business entities and service providers
We may share your information with third parties for the following purposes:
- We may share your information with our affiliates, which are entities under common ownership or control of ZP Better Together, LLP.
- Our suppliers, subcontractors and business partners (“service providers”): We may share information about you with our service providers who process information to provide services to us or on our behalf. We have contracts with our service providers that prohibit them from sharing the information about you that they collect or receive with anyone else or from using such information for other purposes.
d. Legal & administrative obligations
We may use and disclose your personal information as necessary or appropriate, especially when we have a legal obligation or legitimate interest to do so:
- Fraud prevention: We may use and disclose the information we collect from and about our users as we believe necessary to investigate, prevent, or respond to suspected illegal or fraudulent activity or to protect the safety, privacy, rights, or property of us, our users, or others.
- Law enforcement purposes: If requested or required by government authorities such as law enforcement authorities, courts, regulators, or otherwise to comply with the law (which may include laws outside your country of residence), we may have to disclose information we have about our users. We also may use and disclose information collected about you in order to exercise or protect legal rights or defend against legal claims.
- Sale or merger of our company: We have no plans to sell our business. In this unlikely event, we may use, disclose, or transfer your personal information to a third party if we or any of our company affiliates are involved in a corporate restructuring (e.g., a sale, merger, or other transfer of assets, including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
4. Your privacy choices
a. Account & email settings
When you sign a petition via our platform, an account and user profile page are created for you. If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails going forward, you may opt out of receiving these. We will comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages (such as updates about your account or service changes), from which you cannot opt out.
b. Accessing or deleting your information
If you would like to request to review, correct, update, suppress, or delete personal information that has been previously provided to us by you, you may contact our Customer Care at https://www.zvrs.com/services/customer-experience/ and ask us to specify what personal information we have about you and to delete certain personal information about you from our records, or request to receive an electronic copy of your personal information for purposes of transmitting it to another company (to the extent this right to data portability is provided to you by applicable law). Please let us know what information you would like us to remove from our databases or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your personal information. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the personal information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will respond to your requests consistent with applicable law, and we will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that we may need to retain certain information for record keeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to your request. There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, but such residual information will no longer be tied to your identity.
c. Social media
You can edit or remove the permissions you have granted to use information from your social media accounts by using your application privacy settings on your social media account.
d. Third-party analytics companies & Cookies
5. Data retention & security
We take a lot of measures to protect your personal information. If you suspect someone else is using your account, let us know by contacting our Customer Care https://www.zvrs.com/services/customer-experience/
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical, and administrative measures to protect your personal information within our organization from loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration and/or destruction. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify our Customer Care https://www.zvrs.com/services/customer-experience/
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purposes for which it was obtained. The criteria used to determine our retention periods include the length of time we have an ongoing relationship with you and provide our services to you, our legal obligations or whether retention is advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard to applicable statutes of limitations, litigation or regulatory investigations).
6. Third-Party Services
7. California Consumer Privacy Act
a. What is CCPA?
We have worked to ensure our practice is compliant with the requirements of the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). The CCPA gives consumers the right to know when their personal information is being collected about them and for what purpose, the right to opt out of the sale of their data to third parties and the right to request that their data be deleted from any website they have used. The new law came into effect on January 1, 2020.
We are committed to being clear with our users about what personal information we collect, how we use it and their rights relating to accessing or deleting it. We also want to make clear that we do not sell any of the personal information we collect about our users.
The information we will provide to individual users on request will relate to data collected over the preceding 12 months. The information and product updates provided here reflect the CCPA as it currently stands and are subject to change based on updated regulations from the California Attorney General.
b. What categories and specific pieces of personal information do we collect about you?
c. What categories of sources from which the personal information is collected?
Most of the personal information we collect is provided by you when you access and use our service.
d. What is the business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling personal information?
We use your information for our legitimate business interests including providing a petition platform that enables you to connect with issues that are important to you.
e. Do we sell your personal information?
We do not sell the personal information of any of our users.
f. How do third parties treat your data?
We have contracts in place with our 3rd party service providers to ensure they keep your personal information safe. These contracts prohibit them from sharing the information about you that they collect or receive with anyone else or from using such information for other purposes than those we have agreed with them.
g. Your right to know about personal information collected or disclosed
You have the right to request a personal information report which details all of the data we hold about you from the last 12 months. We will confirm that we have received your request within 10 days.
You can contact us to request a personal information report by calling Customer Care at 866-932-7891, or via email at email@example.com.
Where possible, we will provide your personal information report to you within 45 days. If we need more time to process your request we will contact you to let you know why and ensure that you receive your report no later than a further 45 days from the first deadline.
Your personal information report will contain the following data:
- Sources of information
- Purpose for which it was collected
- Third parties it was disclosed to
- Purpose for disclosure
To protect your personal information we have security measures in place to ensure that no one other than you can access your personal information report.
You have the right to delegate your request for a personal information report to an agent. If you do choose to use this method we will ask you to confirm your identity and that your agent has permission to act on your behalf.
h. Your right to request deletion of your personal information
You have the right to request the deletion of all of the personal information we hold about you. We will confirm that we have received your request within 10 days.
You can contact us to request deletion of your personal information via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Within 45 days of your request we will delete all of the personal information we hold about you and send you a report detailing how we have completed your request. In some circumstances we may need to keep data because of legal obligations. We will not use this data for any business purpose.
You have the right to delegate your request for the deletion of your personal information to an agent. If you do choose to use this method we will ask you to confirm your identity and that your agent has permission to act on your behalf.
8. Policy updates & contacting us
This policy may change over time. We’ve included here our contact information, but the best way to get in touch with us is via email email@example.com.
We welcome questions, concerns, and feedback about this policy. If you have any suggestions for us, feel free to let us know by contacting our Customer Care https://www.zvrs.com/services/customer-experience/
You can also write to the following address:
ZP Better Together, Customer Care, 595 Menlo Drive, Rocklin, CA 95765.
We welcome questions, concerns, and feedback about this policy. If you have any suggestions for us, feel free to let us know by contacting via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via regular mail to the attention of Legal Department, ZVRS, 595 Menlo Drive, Rocklin, CA 95765.
Thanks for supporting change in our community — we can’t wait to see what we’ll change next, together!